Pills of our art

The Lodges Vasariane

The Lodges Vasariane

Pills of our art

The beautiful gallery in the town hall square of Castiglion Fiorentino is Renaissance architecture that not only enriches the square in an elegant and artistic, but frames, through its arches, the harmonious view of the Valle di Chio. The first written about Castiglion Fiorentino dating from the late tenth century, and the beginning of the ‘eleventh century, Castiglione called at the time. In 1014 is mentioned Castillione Aretino settlement which coincides with the current area formwork. The town is surrounded by a ring road, was surrounded by walls built in about three decades: 1220-1250.

The performance of these walls led to the east of the acropolis castiglionese the depth of the future town square and the position of the Lodges Vasariane. In the Middle Ages can be taken for certain the presence of a public loggia merchant built of wood, in fact one of the primitive functions of these lodges was precisely to accommodate the market. The public loggia in Renaissance period was realized in the most central areas of urban settlements, as it used to be both frieze of the square or the village teacher, is to raise the prestige of the center. The lodge then becomes element in promoting economic and social cohesion. Leon Battista Alberti in his treatise “De re aedificatoria” supports the need for the presence of a hole or a large square in a city where the streets “ornament will be the presence of an elegant portico under which the elderly can walk, sit, do the siesta and attend to each other’s burdens.” You have to know that the very Alberti is one of the architects and writers who worked more with the greatest rigor in research dele basics of this new way of building which will then be defined Renaissance architecture, the daughter of a humanism with an eye toward the classical antiquity. In fact, with the study and the basics of classical culture moves all its new proposal the Renaissance thought, interpreted and filtered through the characters of the two centuries (XV and XVI) projected that Italy and then the entire world from medieval culture to the modern. Alberti does have the opportunity to observe and study the ancient buildings draw during his stay in Rome, unique place of its kind in Italy in order to amire classical architecture. In 1513, a realization of the ideas of Alberti, was built the new lodge of Castiglione “in honor of the most useful and common saying” from the master masons of Ghirba Bernardo and Philip of Bellinzona. The lodge, located in front of the town hall, it was as a filter between the ancient square of Pietrone (now the Town Hall Square) and the opening of the Valle di Chio. At mid-century. XVI poured the lodges already in a bad state. In 1558 the family Tizi offered to rebuild the church of S. Sebastiano opening under the arches and loggias same failure that had shown the rooms below. The new internal layout of the small church is a broad restructuring of the lodges, which occurred in all probability with the supervision of the trust of the Grand Duke Cosimo I, Giorgio Vasari, who always accompanied him on visits in the Val di Chiana.

Giorgio Vasari was born in Arezzo in 1511 and died in Florence in 1574. The attribution of the Lodges to Vasari is justified by the restoration work performed between 1560 and 1570, a period in which was placed the Medici coat of arms. The pilasters and moldings of the arches in stone stand out from the bottom to white plaster highlighting a Florentine tradition developed by Filippo Brunelleschi, who Vasari knew very well. From here, therefore the name “Vasari” that unites the much more important lodges Arezzo a little later. The Tonieri states that the building was completed in 1571, while that of Arezzo began only two years later. In 1773 the three arches of the loggias overlooking the valley were walled for purposes of stability and perhaps also to repair the square from the wind and allow a greater exhibition of goods for sale to the weekly market “in die veneris (the day of Friday) . In 1929 the mayor Cesaroni made to reopen the three arches as a memorial stone side.

References used:

“Lodges Merchant of Tuscany” by Marco Bini and Carmelo Serafini.

“History of the Renaissance” by Leonardo Benevolent

edited by Lucio Minigrilli

  • Search Accomodations
  • Subscribe our Newsletter

    Subscribe
    Name
    Email*
  • Previsioni Meteo